Quinoa, Beet, and Arugula Salad
- ½ lb beets, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp white sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black ground pepper
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 ounces arugula, chopped
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover pan and bring the water to a boil. Add beets, cover pan, and steam until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Bring quinoa and 2 cups water a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
- Remove quinoa from heat, then immediately add half of the vinegar dressing while fluffing the quinoa with a fork; reserve remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate quinoa until cool, at least 1 hour.
- Stir green onions, arugula, goat cheese, beets, and remaining dressing into cooled quinoa mixture. Toss lightly before serving.